Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Quilt That Started It All

Christmas 2010. I didn't want to get my husband another video game because that is what I always get him.  He is hard to shop for.  One day I was looking in our closet when I had a great idea. My husband's sister was in a fatal car accident when she was 17.  Since then, my husband has been hanging on to her old comforter.  It had lived in his closet for 5 years.  I decided that if he was going to insist on keeping it, we would celebrate it instead of leaving it to take up closet space. 

I enlisted my mom's help because I had never made a quilt before.  In fact, the last time I sewed anything was in middle school. I should point out though, that I didn't actually sew anything on this quilt.  I merely cut out the pieces.  I'm getting side tracked.  I used the black and gray dragon/ Chinese writing comforter and a black and white fat quarter bundle to make this quilt. 

The pattern is called Crazy Circles.  It requires a special ruler set.  But, it went together really fast.  My mom and I were able to make this quilt in one weekend. Darn right! A whole quilt in one weekend. It was also blizzarding outside that weekend, so we weren't able to go to the fabric store to get any backing fabric.  We ended up using a black top sheet.  It totally worked so I'm not even sorry about leaving her with just a random black fitted sheet floating around her house.

It turned out pretty sweet.  Now we actually use the odd dragon comforter instead of having it just take up the top shelf of our closet.  It is also kind of fun that the first quilt I ever made is very sentimental for my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment